A dental crowns/ dental cap is a covering on the tooth which may be metallic or tooth coloured. It may be required when there are terribly broken teeth, due to a decay, fractured teeth or other reasons. After a root canal therapy your tooth structure needs to be strengthened by capping it.
A dental bridge on the other hand is an extended form of a crown used to replace the missing teeth. It is a cheaper option than dental implants, but needs support on both the sides of your natural teeth, which thus have to be trimmed to make room for the crowns on either side.
Your Dental crown/ bridge should have the following features for longevity:
- The final size of the crown should be similar to your original tooth.
- The dental Crown/bridge should mimic the anatomy of the natural teeth.
- The margin where the crown ends should be definite on the tooth and the crown should conform to the outline of the natural tooth.
- The most neglected portion is the undersurface of the replacement tooth. It should passively touch the tissues, be easily cleansable and should be highly polished without any concavities. (in case of PFM, preferably in ceramic)
- Most importantly the patient should be motivated for maintenance.
Purpose of Dental crown/bridge:
- Protecting a weak tooth (possibly from decay) from breaking or to keep the weak tooth together if parts of it are cracked.
- Restoring a broken tooth or a severely worn down tooth.
- Covering and supporting a tooth with a large filling and not much tooth remaining.
- Holding a dental bridge in place.
- Covering misshapen or severely discolored teeth.
Dental Crowns/Bridges can be mainly categories in two parts, regarding what type of fillings is used. It can be either Metal with ceramic filling or completely ceramic.
Metal with ceramic filling consists of Nickel chromium, Cobalt chromium or Titanium; which is lighter in weight. And completely ceramic includes Lithium Disilicate or Zirconia, which makes it the exact replication of teeth.
Types of Dental Bridge/Crowns :
1. Full coverage Dental Crowns and Bridges:
They cover all the walls of the tooth, fortify a root canal treated tooth, add on to the lost tooth structure due to wear and tear and replace the missing teeth.
2. Resin Bonded Bridges for front teeth:
The Resin Bonded Bridge is primarily used for your front teeth. This dental treatment is less expensive than other bridges. This tooth Bridges is not a very popular treatment option, but the Prosthodontists, Dr. Pratik Chheda and Dr. Radhika Chheda, at Procare Dental Clinic will surely do justice to give you a much conservative option like this, especially if you were to replace your missing lower front tooth.
3. Porcelain Laminate Dental Veneers
A permanent solution to discoloration or minor tooth misalignment are ceramic veneers which is a more conservative approach than dental crowns. Ceramic veneers are widely used by models, actors and actresses to enhance their smiles by the virtue of their ability to match the colour properties of the neighboring teeth with an amazing glaze and light transmitting and reflecting properties.
Cost of dental bridge or crown varies from Rs 5k- 10k depending upon the cases.
Once fixed, the dental crown or dental bridge becomes a part of your oral cavity and functions just like the other teeth which means that you need to take extra care of it, including routine brushing, dental flossing, and visiting Procare dental clinic in Mulund on a regular basis.