Dental implants have been the new trend for the replacement of teeth. Is this dental implant permanent? Can I eat anything with this implant? How to take care of my dental implant? Dental implants are titanium inserts that are used to replace teeth. Titanium is a biocompatible metal that is left undisturbed after placing in the patient’s bone for healing. There are multiple benefits of dental implant therapy, which makes them popular as a treatment option. People do understand that implants provide a natural tooth-like appearance, function, and speech. But, the dental implant healing phase is very crucial. Here are some dental implants do’s and don’ts to follow:
Dental Implants Do’s And Don’t
- Moist gauze which is placed after surgery or dental implant therapy is used to put pressure on the area which controls bleeding. Therefore, it should be held under pressure for at least 30-45 minutes.
- Then remove it gently by pushing it with your tongue and throwing it in the dustbin. A little bleeding is normal in the first 24 hours.
Take care of stitches:
- Stitches given in the surgical area have to be kept clean as food debris often lodges in this area. Take care of rinsing after eating anything.
- Stitches are not given in the latest technology-guided implant surgery so the soreness because of this stitch is not there.
- No spitting for at least 24 hours as the bleeding might start again.
- Whatever you take or whatever saliva or fluid there swallows it.
Keep the mouth or implant site clean:
- In the first 24 hours, other than the implant site all the other teeth can be brushed. Keeping the mouth clean is essential for the longevity of dental implants. After that, even the implant site can be brushed gently.
- After 24 hours warm water with a pinch of salt rinses at least 2-3 times a day will help in healing better
Swelling after implants:
- Implants can lead to slight swelling or bruises. This will resolve over the week.
- A cold compress can be used to soothe the swelling from the outside for a maximum of 10 minutes with a break of at least 15 minutes in the middle.
Food/ drink to be avoided:
- Do not eat anything hard or spicy.
- Avoid any hot drinks for at least 24 hours.
- Avoid eating anything before the anesthesia wears off to prevent any unconscious injury to the lips or tongue as they are numb and one would not feel anything.
- Pain or soreness after surgery can be managed with a simple painkiller and antibiotic. Medications would not only relieve pain but also reduce inflammation.
- If the pain or swelling increases after some days of the implant surgery, please report to the dentist again.
A denture or fixed temporarily after implant surgery:
- Normally any form of extra pressure is avoided to help in healing. But, if the denture or temporary has been given one can wear that, but avoid extra pressure by having only soft food and should be kept clean as much as possible.
- Completely avoid smoking for at least a week to prevent damage to the surgical site.
- Tobacco in any form should be avoided for a lifetime
Dental implant Maintenance and recall:
- Regular brushing and flossing have to be followed thoroughly
- Mouth rinsing should be done after every meal thoroughly
- Professional cleaning and check-up after every 6 months
We hope these dental implants do’s and don’ts will help you recover better.
Why choose Procare Dental Clinic?
Procare Dental offers the most advanced and latest technology of guided Implantology, which helps avoid a lot of complications. The predictability of dental implants is increased. Guided implants do not need an opening of the flap so the swelling is avoided, with no stitch and minimal pain along with one of the best dental implant clinics in Mumbai. We provide you with the best dental implants with in-house facilities of 3d scans and a digital laboratory that enables one to see the outcome even before the surgery starts. We are here to help you with solutions to all your dental problems with the latest and advanced technology.
Tooth Extraction: Do’s and Don’ts After Dental Surgery
Importance Of Calcium in Bone Integration – Dental Implants
Dental Implants and How It Affects Hypertension